Thursday, July 24, 2014

On Capulin Mountain

O Capulin! My Capulin!
From your precious heights I see
Three little volcanoes,
Erupted long ago,
Worn down by the ages of wind, water, and grazing
Animals.
O Capulin, I see inside you,
A small lake, scattered cinderstones,
And in my mind’s eye, caverns of petrified horror:
Stalactites and stalagmites of insect burrows,
Eaten out from the inside a million years after erupting.
A metamorphic mess.
I see steam rising, O Capulin,
From my own arms
In the cold desert air.
Creatures a mile away can smell me.
All the mosquitoes in New Mexico are not half so far away.
I see the black red stones pushed aside
By green chutes and stems.
Yellow, orange, blue, and violet
Delicate petals (tiny craters)
Reach toward the burning sun.
I see my own flesh, grizzly pink and glistening, sticky-hot.
The cattle with nothing much to graze leave steaming floes on the lava floes:
Mock miniatures of their scenery
Dotted on the dry land.
It’s so hot and cold here that I can see the temperatures, O Capulin-

I see them hovering midair.

2 comments: