Thursday, June 26, 2014

I'm calling this one done.

LIZA

A wilting white sun bleeds out all his heat over the tranquil black deep
While the moon grins through a cloud, cold and clear, dimpling from ear to ear,
And white crests rise on the smoke colored waters under a slate dark pier.
There Liza sings about drinking Prosecco,
And Liza's voice in the dark leaves an echo;
As her own song sings her to sleep.

Glutted to burst on the sun's dying sighs and dancing like midnight vampires
The moon and the sea spin in lustful distrust, darting drunkenly over the shore.
Their awful push-pull on a lantern (half-full) spreads a horror around like a whore.
While Liza lies with her head next to mine
And Liza's breath keeps the rhythm in time
With my own and the sea's and the fire's.

There's the soft susurrus of lovers like us rustling far off in a rush;
The moon shuts her eyes and feigns to disguise that she chokes on the smoke in a spire
The moon's crying eyes deride and disguise red watery smoke floating higher,
Then Liza bites her lip at the window
And Liza sighs and sits: limbs akimbo
As her own voice laughs in a hush.

He won't come; he won't come! In a fury she hums with her head in a hot-hungry-haze. 
I watch as she stands with her hope in her hands to see smoke spilling into the air
A rat-tat-tat boom! and the pier lights the gloom as she screams her poor sailor’s despair.
My Liza claps and clutches the window
And Liza smiles to weep as a widow
While dark smoke blackens her gaze.

We'll be free; we'll be free! Now it's just you and me til the day you betray me just once.
I smile and recline while inferno flames climb over the mounting hot pyre
One kick and my Liza, my murderous doll, falls fast toward the flames of her fire.
And sweet Liza's screams echo out, 
My Liza's last ear-splitting shout:
A remembrance of lovelier stunts.

The shimmering seawater surges straight up in a blast of sulfurous fury.
The sky’s many eyes blink in surprise as the air sets fire to her hair
And I watch then as Liza, my beautiful darling, vanishes into the air.
Smoke ushers an end to disguise
And spreads Liza's final goodbyes
Just the moon: my judge and my jury.


2 comments:

  1. Wow and wow and wow. This was fabulous writing.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a phenomenal writer! I appreciate everything you share.

    ReplyDelete